Fall 2013 Newsletter
- Dean Bennett Retirement Announcement and a special word from Chancellor Drake.
- Meet our 2013 Leadership Scholar Esther Kim!
- Welcome to our new Bio Sci Faculty members
- Two Bio Sci scientists receive prestigious NIH New Innovator Award, which supports research by early-career faculty
- Join the Bio Sci Alumni Club! Reconnect with old friends, build a network and support your school – all for free! More details at www.bio.uci.edu/alumni-club
- Join us for a free public lecture on “Global Implications of the Biofuel Revolution,” an Allergan Lecture Series in Modern Biology on November 19. More details and registration information.
- What’s In Your Future? In business, you plan for every contingency. In life, you plan for every major event. You don’t leave your future to chance, so why chance it with your legacy? To find out how your philanthropy can build a legacy for your family, friends, or community while protecting your financial future, contact Andy DiNuzzo in the School of Biological Sciences at 949/824-2734.
- Lester Ng, class of ’93, contributes to the Bio Sci International Students Program (ISP) to help foreign students thrive in the U.S.
- Faculty Recognition: Susan Bryant, former Dean of the School of Biological Sciences and former Vice Chancellor for Research at UC Irvine, was just named the inaugural editor-in-chief for the new open-access journal Regeneration. The journal is accepting papers for the first issue in January/February 2014. Read more about Regeneration here; Dr. Susanne Rafelski named a 2013 New Scholar in Aging by the Ellison Medical Foundation; UCI-led study creates new memories by directly changing the brain. Findings could prove helpful in understanding and resolving learning and memory disorders; UCI-led study reveals how SARS virus hijacks host cells. Findings could prove beneficial in the development of therapies; Bio faculty studies featured in American Journal of Botany’s July 2013 issue